21 Mar 2012

Lost Soul ★☆☆☆☆



Review of 'Lost Soul' which can be found here on YouTube.

Length: 01:50
Directed by Russell Lee Ford
Genre: Experimental
Date: 2009?
Rating: ☆☆☆☆

Logline: Experimental merger of music and video effects.

Beware: Don't press the play button unless you really want to waste some valuable time. As you know, the 'Experimental' genre isn't my fave, this is a good example of why. We have a music track, two terrible video shots, some editing effects and a title which is the only comprehensible element. That adds up to not very good.

I'm never quite sure if these type of shorts are meant for an audience or are simply the editor playing about on the computer. The fact that it's been posted online, unfortunately points to the former. Who will watch this and what they will get out of it, I'm not sure. I was certainly left feeling robbed of time and effort. (Yet here I am writing about it??)

I don't know how many different ways there are to depict a lost soul, this may be quite accurate for all I know. I struggle to view stuff with no narrative but if the point of experimental film is to make the audience think, I can't help but think that the title alone on a black screen would have been more effective than what is presented to us here.

Saying that, the music track is evocative and moody. Composed by alternative band 'Went To The Forest' which may be worth a look. I don't mind repetitive, melodic audio, it's just the repetitive, boring video I hate.

Best Bit: The music track.

Worst Bit: Fast forwarding through it and finding nothing worth watching.

Final thought: What was the motivation?

Read a condensed review of this film on Twitter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment