20 Jul 2012

Still Life With Smoke And Mirrors ★★☆☆☆


Review of 'Still Life With Smoke And Mirrors' which can be found here or on the BBC Film Network.

Length: 03:40
Directed by Graham Young
Genre: Experimental
Date: 2009
Rating: ★★☆☆

Logline: A computer generated exploration with light, shadow and perspective.

This gets a low rating purely due to my still lack of understanding regarding experimental and art house films. Trust me, I've tried. Three solid hours of experimental short films at this years EIFF had me wanting to gouge my eyes out but it was interesting listening to the filmmakers talk and finding out about what the whole genre is. I tried to evaluate the films on a more emotional level and rated on originality and overall satisfaction. Experimenting with film is fair enough but I was still left wondering about the need to exhibit the end product and what exactly audiences get out of it.

The above film is a prime example. To me, it's slow, it's meaningless, and contains no enjoyment for me whatsoever. That's personal taste of course. Yes, there's craftsmanship in the production, construction and composition and there is a certain degree of achievement in just that. Make up your own minds, as usual.

Best Bit: Camera panning out?

Worst Bit: Dunno what this is about.

Final thought: Enlighten me!

Read a condensed review of this film on Twitter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment